Friday, December 21, 2007

Multi Job Lady

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I'm currently working three jobs - part time at the bookstore, tech for one show, and assistant director for another. This means that on one show's day off I'm working at the other show during the day and the bookstore at night. Every other day I'm working one show during the day and hauling ass over the 30 minute commute to get to the other one on time (usually not, with the traffic out here), then driving home late at night. I then work on the computer until 1 or 2 in the morning. The past few days I've been getting up at 6:30.

It also takes me an hour and a half to two hours to get to the theater jobs from my house. If I had any decent amount of money saved up, I would move. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like that's going to happen either. A combination of the mountainous commute, the stop and go traffic, and missing my last maintenance check because I was so busy (not to mention putting almost 1,000 miles on the car this week) has caused my brake pads to be worn down so thin that the rotor on my back right tire is completely shot. This means it has to be replaced, which means $400 dollars more in credit card debt for me.

I had been hoping that my fiance's book would sell after this giant rewrite he'd been working on all year, relieving a little bit of the financial strain and maybe allowing us to get married this summer (I know, wishful thinking). But the independent reviewers the publisher hired once again said it was a no go. So either he writes another draft or we're relegated to the no-man's land again.

I have to keep reminding myself that we're both working in the fields we wanted when it seems like things get so insurmountable.

But I'm not sleeping very much lately, so I'm probably just being grumpy. The Christmas holiday should help a little bit, even though I'm working at the bookstore on Christmas Eve.

No comments: