Tuesday, January 13, 2004

What is a blog?

I created a special blog for the play I'm directing so that I could post rehearsal schedules, notes, and updates for the cast. But tonight when I put the address up for people somebody asked me, "What's a blog?" Someone else said, "Oh... it's like a message board." And I realized that it was really hard for me to put into words what a blog is. Not that it's some complicated concept, but it was strange to have to define it. Then I came across Matisse's Glossary of Internet Terms who puts it quite well:

Blog - (weB LOG)

A blog is basically a journal that is available on the web. The activity of updating a blog is "blogging" and someone who keeps a blog is a "blogger." Blogs are typically updated daily using software that allows people with little or no technical background to update and maintain the blog.

Postings on a blog are almost always arranged in cronological order with the most recent additions featured most prominantly.


So there you go.

No comments: