Friday, January 20, 2006

Tattoos

I went into the tattoo parlor tonight to have the artist take a look at the picture I made up (the one I posted here earlier) and he asked me how big I wanted it. I said, "Not too much bigger than it is on the page there." He asked if he could make a copy and I said sure, so he went back to the copy machine. What he came back with was seriously like, 500 times bigger than I wanted. The tattoos would have taken up my whole back. I said I really wasn't comfortable with how big they were and he and the apprentice started trying to convince me that "bigger was better" and that if I wanted to work on sleeves later I would want them bigger. I said that I didn't want them that big and that I really wasn't planning on getting sleeves at all. Anyway, the guy said he would work on the design overnight and to come back the next day, and we left it at that. I like the work this artist did on my friend Nicole, and he's always been super excited about the things she brings him, so it was weird that he immediately started trying to change my mind about this tattoo that I've obviously thought of a lot. I explained the significance of it to him and everything. I think the weirdest part of it was when Nicole (who came with me) said, "Well, she's really a more delicate person than that" and the artist said, "Well, those aren't delicate tattoos she has there." Just didn't make sense.

Anyway, I'm going to go back tomorrow and see what he comes up with, but if we don't see eye to eye on this I'm just going to have to wait a little longer to get my tattoos, I guess. I'd rather wait and have them done the way I want them than make an artist do something that he doesn't want to do.

No comments: